Kai's Travel Blog for Family & Friends

Hello to family & friends - feel free to check in on my travels. I'll try to keep this relatively updated so that you can see where and what I am up to. On the right of this page are links to my schedule and hotels (for photo purposes). I do have class and a country to explore, so forgive me if these posts are not long or extremely detailed!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 18 - Sparta, Pylos

Hey, y'all. Just waking up in the small seaside village of Pylos. I went to sleep early last night, as I have a presentation coming up in the next couple of days. It felt nice to get some shuteye.

Yesterday, we spent most of the day in transit from Sparta to Messene, an ancient walled city built by former Spartan slaves. It was interesting because it was built solely in the late Classical period, so there was no Archaic influence. Unlike most of our other sites, there was no modern city built over the top of it, so excavation can be done slowly and surely. Very cool site.



We got to climb up to the top of a huge fortification at Monemvasia two days ago - awesome photos from up there:



Sparta was also great. We climbed to the top of their walled castle from medieval times. It was very damp, but just going through the different levels and climbing to the top was awesome. The castle was actually the inspiration for Minas Tirith, for all of you Lord of the Rings fans out there.



I have to head out for Olympia soon, where I will post more - it is our big 5 Star hotel, so I anticipate a nice internet connection! Take care, everyone! Go Packers!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kai, You look like a Greek God overlooking your city. Mom

    ReplyDelete