Kai's Travel Blog for Family & Friends

Hello to family & friends - feel free to check in on my travels. I'll try to keep this relatively updated so that you can see where and what I am up to. On the right of this page are links to my schedule and hotels (for photo purposes). I do have class and a country to explore, so forgive me if these posts are not long or extremely detailed!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 20 - Olympia

What's up, demos?

I'm currently posted up at the Europa Hotel in Olympia. It is pretty nice - not the 5 star I was thinking, but still comfortable. The problem has been that for the past two days it has been rainy and gloomy, save for a brief window of beautiful weather at one of the coolest sites we have visited: an old fortification at Methoni. Very picturesque! We just explored for a while...




Today, I presented my project for the trip: Equestrian Events & the Hippodrome. I actually put a lot of research into this one before I left, so some minor work last night had me ready to go. Unfortunately, I had a very "Kai" moment - thinking we would return to the bus before my presentation, I left my notes on-board in an attempt to keep them dry. After a five-minute walk, I realized that a return to the bus was not going to happen. I received instructions on how to get back to the bus (which had moved), but I could not find it for the life of me. I ended up running around in the rain (about 2 miles total) at the behest of random Greeks who pointed me in all sorts of wrong directions. I was wearing a shirt and tie and literally soaked. Finally, I realized I had emailed my notes to a classmate - if I could find a printer, I could simply print out another copy of my notes. The town was in the absolute opposite of tourist season, so it was deserted. I checked in about 3 hotels (all empty) before finding the fourth, which had a public computer and printer (despite also being empty). I snuck in a printed it off on both sides of the last remaining sheet of paper, before an old greek man came out and began to chew me out. I threw down two Euro and sprinted back to catch up with my group. I reached them at the end of their short circuit of the Olympic grounds, which had been cut short due to pouring rain. I was received triumphantly as I spun them my tale, and then proceeded to launch into my presentation inside the nearest museum. It was very well received (glad I put all that work into it!), and now I have a(nother) very entertaining story from my time in Greece!

Well, tomorrow we leave for Delphi, but we're stopping overnight in Preveza to get some Lord Byron in our lives. Looks like another night we will be staying inside (the pool is closed - apparently a outdoor temp of 55 is too cold to swim for these natives!), but it will be fun regardless. I also want to let everyone know that, for some reason, they aired the first half of the Packers game here. I wasn't able to catch much of it, but I certainly have been overplaying the highlights! Boy, am I excited for the Super Bowl.....1996 seems far too long ago!



Thoughts and prayers - Kai

1 comment: